I am a firm believer that once the universe, or God, thinks you are ready, you will start to see signs everywhere. And once I declared my value to the universe last Tuesday, I have been seeing signs.
Now, to everyone else, they might not seem like much, but things I have considered signs?
- Social media articles.
- Conversations where I was able to let others know I didn’t feel valued in situations.
And much more. It feels everywhere I turn, I am seeing signs of knowing my value. Needless to say, I am actually excited about having the idea valuing myself my project for the upcoming year. I always set goals and have achieved some of them, but I really never thought about the why behind what I wanted to actually accomplish something. For example, I always set a goal to accomplish reading 52 books every year. Why do I want to read 52 books in a year
For example, I always set a goal to accomplish reading 52 books every year. Why do I want to read 52 books in a year? Is it because I see others do it? Is it because I like the idea of reading a book a week? If I do like that idea, why? Is it because I want to compete with others or myself? I could really go on with inductive reasoning but the main reasoning behind setting this goal is A.) It sounds nice in my head. B.) I am sad at the thought I’ll never be able to complete my to be read pile on Goodreads and C.) I truly value the enjoyment I get from reading, both academically and recreationally. Not everything is complicated in life, but you can easily see how much someone can really dig into things.
A while ago, after reading my friend Jason Vitug’s book, “You Only Live Once,” I made a list of things I valued and was willing to spend money on. Such things included travel, education, health, and friends. While my list hasn’t entirely changed, I still have some ideas of areas in my life I would like to really focus on valuing the next year, while still valuing myself. It’s always easier to value things and people than valuing yourself and that is exactly the type of behavior I am trying to get away from.
Areas of my personal life up for consideration?
- Health– I value my body & mind. I hope to live a long healthy life to the best of my ability by taking care of myself both physically and mentally. What can I do to help ensure this is possible?
- Self-Worth- I value my self-worth. I hope to one day not rely on others to make me happy or unhappy and instead, make myself happy. I do not wish anyone to pay attention to me or give me an opportunity. I know I am worthy of attention and opportunities. If someone fails to acknowledge it, it does not make me any less of a person. What can I do to feel confident and happy in all situations?
- Education- I value my education. I have honored this to myself by getting a bachelors degree for me. While this will help my earning potential in the long one, it is my biggest accomplishment to get up every day and focus for however many years it took me. Since I do not want to lose feeling accomplished, I will continue to read and learn new things, as it relates to both my interests, self-development, new cultures and my career.
- Wealth- I value my bank account and there is no shame in valuing security. I value not worrying about money at night or how I can pay my bills. I value knowing that I have money shall an emergency happen and I know I am blessed and have money for food and other necessities and even wants. I am also blessed so I try to share when I can.
- My space- I value myself and anywhere I spend my time. I value my home, my office space, and my car. By choosing to not clutter, decorate in fun and meaningful ways and keeping cleanliness, I am showing myself I value my space and comfort.
- Fun- I value myself and allow my inner child to have fun. I value spending time with others but I also value spending time with myself. I value reading, watching movies and anything else that brings me joy and laughter. Traveling and experiencing new things is something else I value spending time and money on.
- My Business- I value making a difference in others lives through my career and opportunities I can create for myself and others. I value educating others on things I wish I was educated on so I could have been more successful earlier in life. I know I have great ideas and compassion for others and I can help them like others can and have. I hope to share my wealth and ideas with an audience of my peers to help them as well.
I think this is a great start for now and now that I know my “why”, I am happy to get started.
What are you choosing to value about yourself?