Yes, I am fully aware that we are still in 2014. We have 3 1/2 weeks left actually. But, this year I didn’t make any goals because I had a power word “mindfulness” and although it served me well, I missed making goals and tracking my progress. I didn’t make any goals because I was in such a state of awkwardness that it felt really hard on me to decide which way to go in my life. I had just ended a relationship and moved for my fourth time in less than two years.
However, I think 2014 turned out way better than I had anticipated. I started school again after I was finally considered a resident and recently completed my first semester at ASU full time in addition to working 40+ hours a week. I have spent the past year living with a roommate on my own and I am currently in the stages of moving to my very first apartment all by myself. I started therapy regularly and have been working through my anxiety and depression more than ever before. And I have a new guy who is just adorable.
After so much change in 2014, I want to say I’m hoping for a quiet year to kick butt on my goals. If I have proven anything to myself, it’s that I can live on my own and not die. I can go to school and work and still kick butt. It’s okay to admit I don’t have all the answers and it’s okay to say I need help sometimes and cry. So, with that in mind, I am going to make some strong goals for 2015 because I am a strong woman. I am gonna be reaching for the stars so I can at least land on the moon. You feel me?
1. Regularly make $1,000 in side income. I currently average $4-500 a month in side income through a few streams but I have been wanted to hit $1,000 for ions. I know $4-500 isn’t anything to sneeze at but in order to make my goals realities and still continue to do fun things like travel, I need to make more money.
2. Save a $3,000 emergency fund. My emergency fund consistently overs around $500-$1,000 depending on emergencies that happen through out the year, usually dental work and car repairs. I am hoping that I can get it to $3,000 this year to make some progress on my goal of having $10,000 in an e-fund ( see my five year plan here.) I have a plan to be done saving this amount by October through automatic withdraws from my checking but I plan on throwing some extra money at it as I can. This is my number one priority this year!
3. Save + spend $2,000 in dental work. My braces are coming off soon and I know already off the top of my head I am going to need four crowns so I would like to get this done once my orthodontist gives me the go ahead. I’m already looking at needing some dental work this month in December but I’m not putting that towards this goal.
4. Visit H four times. It’s expensive being in a long distance relationship, especially when your honey lives all the way across the country. We are actually pretty fortunate with how often we get to see each other and H is actually going to come for longer stays once I have my own apartment. He still has some prior commitments keeping him on the east coast for awhile and I plan to visit him when I can since I teach and I’m in school myself.
5. Lose 30lbs. I lost 20 lbs back in 2012 and have wanted to lose 30 more since. I have a really good four months of non-stop fitness and lost 5-10lbs of it but then gain it back. >_< I want to lose 30 in honor of my 30th birthday coming up this year so I am going to work really hard on this. I technically have eight months to lose the weight so that’s a little under 4lbs a month. I know I can definitely do that if I eat healthy and exercise longer than four months.
6. Pass all classes at ASU. I have exactly three more semesters at ASU if I play my cards right and then I will have my bachelors in criminology. It’s extremely hard going to school full-time and working full-time but that’s the cards I was dealt and therefore, I need to rock it. It’s hard to stay on top of extra income because studying comes before anything else but I need to pass all of my classes.
7. Read 52 books. This year I read 63 books bypassing my original goal of 52. I was really worried when school started because I feared I wouldn’t be able to read as much and I’m technically not during the semester since I need to read so much for my classes. However, I gave up cable last summer and besides stealing H’s Comcast account for a show here and there, I don’t miss it at all. Instead of mindless TV watching after class, I read my library books. I hope to read 52 more books this year even though my Goodreads list grows at an alarming rate.
8. Move into my new apartment! I should be moving into my apartment in February and I am so excited! The apartment I put a deposit on is in the Melrose district in Phoenix and it’s super cute. It will be the first time I am living alone (EVER) so I am excited and a bit nervous. I know I will do just fine but it’s still scary to me. I have been saving all of my pennies that were possible and I’m ready to decorate to my hearts content. I’ve been trying to get rid as much as I can before the move so I can have a fresh new start!
So there you have it. All of my goals for the new year! I am excited to track my progress because it can only go up from here!
What do you have on your goals list?